Pages

Wednesday 19 December 2018

Day 3 (Week 1) - Summer Learning Journey

DAY 3: Awesome Animals

Hey Peeps! So we are back to another blog post of Summer Learning Journey! It's now day 3!! So, as usual, sit back and relax and welcome to Summer Learning Journey Blog post (LoL:)
Activity 1: Fantastic Beasts [4 points]

In New Zealand, we have many unusual animals. One of the most unusual is the kiwi bird - a bird that does not have wings and can not fly. Pretty strange, eh?! J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, has recently written a new book about strange or unusual animals called ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.’
For this activity, please watch this cool book trailer. Year 7 and Year 8 students in South Auckland, New Zealand helped to make it. Once you have watched the video, use your imagination and create your very own beast. What does your beast look, smell, feel, and sound like?

On your blog, post a description of your beast. Use interesting adjectives (describing words) to tell us about your beast.
My beast is just simple at it seems like the other beast, Dangerous, Scary and Mysterious? but when you go down further to know this type of beast... It's not just a normal beast... It may look scary but not as scary inside. It has a genuine heart who help animals inside the forest. This beast is furry and has brown-ish skin color and has very sharp teeth, this beast has also a horn colored dark brown... and of course, it has blue eyes. 

Activity 2: The Secretive Skink [4 points]
We have a number of small lizards (geckos and skinks) living in New Zealand. One of the least common is the Chevron Skink. According to the Department of Conservation, Chevron Skinks live mostly on two islands - Great Barrier Island and Little Barrier Island. These islands are ‘animal reserves.’ Very few people, other than staff working for the New Zealand Department of Conservation (DOC), are allowed to live there. The DOC staff are called ‘Rangers.’ Their job is to protect the wildlife (animals and plants) living on the island.
Would you like to be a DOC ranger and live with the animals on Great Barrier Island?
On your blog list three pros (good things) and three cons (bad things) about working as a DOC ranger. At the bottom of your post, tell us whether you would like to be a DOC Ranger or not.
Pros:
  • I could help to protect the wildlife
  • Visiting a place that I haven't been before
  • A great adventurous experience in my life
 Tons:
  • I could injure myself by protecting those wildlife animals
  • Financial problems
  • Homesick :(

Activity 3: The WWF: World Wildlife Fund [10 points]
In 1961, a number of people came together to start an organization called the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). The main goal of this organization was/is to protect life on earth. Hundreds of WWF staff work in countries all over the world trying to protect our planet and the animals who live here. To learn more about their amazing work, click on one of the two video links below.

Clip #2: Tigers

Once you have watched the video, go to your blog and, using full sentences, tell us:
1) The name of the animal the WWF is working to save.
2) What the WWF is doing to help the animal.
3) What, if any, success they have had protecting the animal.

Answers: 
1) The name of the animal that WWF is working to save is Seals and Pups
2) The WWF is working together to build snow banks for pups (baby seals)
3) The endangered cute pups will be safe now from dying.

If you make it to the end.. Thank you! See yah on the Day 4 (Week 1 )

3 comments:

  1. Mōrena Elisha Mae,

    My name is Mikey. I'm a part of the Summer Learning Journey team and I will be commenting on your blog posts this year. It looks like you've made a great start to this weeks activities, well done! :)

    I really enjoyed reading about your 'fantastic beast'. I really like how, even though it has a scary appearance, you've given it a lovely personality. It actually reminds me of my brothers dog - he's VERY big so when people first see him they tend to get frightened but he's actually the sweetest, most gentle dog. Do you have any pets?

    You've come up with some really thoughtful reasons for and against becoming a DOC ranger, Elisha Mae. Do you think you would like to be one? One of my friends used to work for DOC and he loved it.

    Well done for answering activity three in full sentences! It makes it a lot easier for your readers to understand :)
    It sounds like the WWF are doing an amazing job. Would you like to be a part of their organisation?

    I can't wait to read more posts from you soon. Until then, happy blogging! :)

    Mikey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms Mikey! I hope you have a great holidays so far!
      Nope, I don't have pets here in NZ but I do have 1 male and 1 female dogs in Philippines. Their names are Pritz and Janine, Janine the female one is a Beagle breed and Pritz the male one is Labrador retriever.

      I don't think Ms Mikey If I wanna be a DOC ranger when I grow up, but If I had a chance to be one then I'd love to. Thank you for commenting on my post. Have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

      -Elisha Mae

      Delete
  2. Mōrena Elisha Mae!

    Thank you very much. I hope you're having a lovely holiday as well. Did you do anything exciting for Christmas?

    Who looks after your dogs while your here in New Zealand? I'm currently trying to convince my partner that we should get a Beagle puppy - it's not going so well :(

    That's fair enough. It's not for everyone :) Do you have any idea what you would like to be when you grow up?

    Happy New Year, Elisha Mae!

    Talk soon,

    Mikey

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.