Pages

Saturday 20 November 2021

Textiles: Bucket Hat Pt. 2

Hi! This week in Textiles, I have finally finished sewing my bucket hat together. Therefore, I am blogging about it and answering a couple questions regarding commercial patterns.

What are commercial patterns?
Commercial patterns are patterns used in sewing to guide or direct how to sew a certain piece of clothing or garments and accessories through templates and so on. It is issued worldwide patterns by the States, Canada, and the UK.

What pattern did you use?
My class used a bucket hat pattern made by HelloSewing online. The bucket hat had 3 commercial pattern templates; the top, brim, and crown. These parts were sewn together on a 10mm line. The instructions were clear and easy to follow. However, it was quite confusing at first but I got through it. The pattern that was used most was Bent Double-Headed Arrows (cut on the fold) and cutting lines. There were also a few but wasn't used as much. 

Here's a picture of my finished bucket hat:

Reflection:
The process of making it was quite challenging for me because I have never really seen anything like this before. It was definitely confusing and it kept on testing my patience as I always get something wrong and had to unstitch it. But overall, it was fun. It taught me to have patience and trust the process. I am also familiar with the commercial patterns now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.