Pages

Tuesday 31 August 2021

Science: Dominant and Recessive Allele

Hi, This week in Science Biology we are learning about the Dominant and Recessive Allele on humans and animals. 

Science Lockdown Weekly Question: 
We have some sheep here at home who have just had lambs. The mums have white wool, the dad also has white wool. But we have two mums who have had twins - one of the twins has white wool and one has black wool. Using terms like allele and dominant and recessive try and explain how this can happen - use a Punnett square too if you want. 

My Answer:
White wool is the dominant allele The black wool is the recessive allele.
This means there was a high chance of having a white wool lamb considering both parents were white wool genes.

Now, in this case, this has happened because...
It is due to both of the parent sheep is a (Ww - white wool but non-purebred sheep)
With the recessive allele in it (w), there is a chance of getting a black wool lamb due to both parents being non-purebred white wool sheep.

Punnet square explanation: 
                   🡫

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.