Pages

Tuesday 17 August 2021

Science: DNA Extraction

Hi, Today in Science we did an experiment where we extract DNA from a Kiwi fruit.

Aim: To extract DNA from kiwifruit

Equipment: Kiwifruit, water, test tube, beakers, salt, dishwashing detergent, ziplock bag, spatula

Method:
1.) Cut the kiwifruit in half and scoop out the kiwi fruit and put it in a ziplock bag.

2.) Crush the kiwifruit inside the ziplock bag until chunks are gone. 

3.) Add 2 pinch of salt and a little bit of water to the mixture and mix it together.

4.) Then pour through cloth, collect the juice in a beaker, then transfer it into a test tube.

5.) After pouring the mixture into the test tube, add Ethanol. Watch the DNA separate and collect the DNA using a spatula.

Results:
After adding Ethanol into the mixture, a complete visible change happened. There appeared two layers in the test tube. At the top is the cloudy looking texture which is the DNA that we are going to fish out. The bottom one is just the neutral mixture. The dishwashing liquid broke the DNA cells of the kiwifruit, then the ethanol separated the DNA.


Conclusion: 
I think the experiment went well and I would like to try out the Strawberry next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.