Pages

Thursday 21 May 2020

Mamon - Filipino Dessert

(Late post)

Hey guys! Welcome back to my blog. Today I'll be doing a blog post about a specific dessert I baked during the quarantine lockdown of COVID-19. In Home Economics (Cooking) subject, our task during the lockdown was to bake at least one food and blogged about it. For me, I baked one of the tasty Filipino dessert named 'Mamon'. Basically, Mamon is an airy Filipino sponge cake and they can be found in one of the bakery shops in the Philippines. I guarantee you, it is worth baking!

Here are the ingredients If you are interested in making one.
Credits to Liren Baker
Ingredients: 1/4 cup butter, melted 1 cup flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/3 cup sugar 1/2 cup sugar 6 eggs 1/4 cup water 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated

It was a long time ago so I forgot how to do it in steps. But...

Here's a video to teach you how to bake it in details:  Video

Thank you for reading my post!~

5 comments:

  1. Hi Elisha-Mae. The Mamon certainly looks a delicious dessert. I am interested to see the use of a sweet light sponge topped with melted butter, sugar and grated cheese. What type of cheese is used? Does the cheese taste come through or is it a background flavour? Great to see you included the Video of how Mamon is made. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mrs. Hindson
      Thank you for commenting on my post. The type of cheese were used are Cheddar cheese which is a type of cheese that naturally made from Cow's milk. The cheese is usually a background flavour. Thanks again and see you tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Hi Elisha Mae. Thank you for sharing a dessert recipe from your culture. It is a most interesting recipe and it looks divine. Did your Mamon sponges look like the photo or like those in the video? I can not imagine cheese with a sweet dessert. Which quantity of sugar was mixed into the dry ingredients? Do you know why cream of tartar was added to the meringue? What type of cheese did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Miss Rhodes. Thank you for commenting on my post. My Mamon certainly didn't look like any of it, It kinda failed, It is my first attempt on making one. The quantity of Sugar was mixed into the dry ingredients were the 1/2 one. While the other 1/3 is I believe for the toppings which is over the butter layer. I think the cream tartar was added to the meringue to help the egg whites to form a fluffy texture. The type of cheese I used were Cheddar cheese. Thanks again and bye.

      Delete
  3. That sounds an intersting cake; I had a dessert at a Filipino party with sweetcorn in it which wasn't what I expected.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.