Pages

Friday 13 March 2020

Evaporation - Experiment (Hurumanu 3)

Separating a Mixture using Evaporation:

Aim: We are trying to evaporate to separate our mixture.
Hypothesis: I think there will be a litle bit of liquid left.

Equipment: Copper Sulfate Solution, 250mL, Beaker, heatproof mat, evaporating basin, element.

Method
1. Set up element
2. Add 50mL of hot water to the beaker and place it on the element.
3. Add copper sulfate to the evaporating basin until it is quarter full.
4. Carefully, place the evaporating basin on top of the beaker.
5. Turn on the element to 8
6. Heat the solution until most of the solvent has been evaporated and crystals of solute are forming
7. Turn off the element - careful not to touch as will hot for a long time.

Observations: As we were waiting for it to heat up, I noticed a bunch of tiny bubbles started popping up.

Conclusion: As time passes by, the experiment has come to an end. The results of the experiment where unexpectedly expected. The Copper sulfate solution has crystallized. It looks fascinating to me. 

My hypothesis was wrong, I thought there would be at least a little bit of liquid left but it fully crystallized. I think my hypothesis was wrong because I thought the temperature of the stove isn't high but because of the amount of time we left it heating up, it crystallized.

Thank you for reading my post, have a lovely day!~



No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.