Pages

Thursday 5 November 2020

Film Study - How does Music enhanced the story?

 Hi everyone! I'm back with another blog post. This week in Film study, we began to look at how the music enhanced the story. As usual, we use Coraline as our film reference for this. We were tasked to write a SEXXY paragraph. 

Here is my SEXXY paragraph:

In the film Coraline, music was used productively to set up a mood in each scene. For instance, in the intro of the movie, the music starts off as a minor key. As it proceeds to play, a major key started mixing in but it is still predominant of the minor keys. The tempo was quite slow but it gradually increases and went down a little bit, staying neutral. The director did this to make the audience feel excited, disturbed, and curious about what the movie is about to bring. Coinciding with the shot had creepy and nostalgic music in a minor and slight major key makes it exciting and builds up tension in an unpleasant way. This aspect can be compared to the scene when the other father sang a song to Coraline. It was a fast tempo song in predominately major keys. There are some diegetic sounds used in the scene which is the piano playing. It sounds like a real piano playing in the scene. Its own dynamic makes the scene cheerful and filled with enthusiastic vibes. 


I don't really have any wondering about this. I just find it fascinating how sound effects and the background music sets up the mood in a scene in the movie. Anyway, I hope you learned something new. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.