Pages

Tuesday 3 November 2020

Heart Dissection - Science

In Science, we have been learning about the Circulatory system as well as the parts of it. As a part of our learning, we dissected a pig's heart. In order to get a deeper and more visual understanding of how the heart works. A pig's heart was a good option due to the fact that it is similar to the human's heart. 

Before we discuss how the dissecting went. Let's learn the functions of each Circulatory system parts work.

Arteries -  Arteries are a blood vessel that takes the blood away from the heart. 

Veins - The veins take the blood back to the heart.

AtriumThe Atrium is the upper chamber of the heart that receives blood.

Ventricle - The ventricle is a V - shapes cavities that push the blood into the arteries to take it away from the heart. 

Vena Cava The vena cava is a large vein carrying deoxygenated blood from the body to take to the heart. - Deoxygenated means that it does not carry oxygen. 

Aorta The aorta is the main artery that carries the blood away from the heart to the body.

Right Side of Heart - Deoxygenated blood enters the right atrium from a vein called Vena cava, the blood is then pumped to the right ventricle. The right ventricle then pumps it to the lungs to get oxygen 

Left Side of Heart - Like the right side of the heart blood enters the left atrium but this blood is oxygenated, which means it carries oxygen with it. Then the atrium pumps it to the left ventricle, after that the left ventricle pumps the blood to the body to deliver oxygen. 

Valves - Valves are gates that only go one way. They open up to let blood flow to the ventricle, it then closes so that blood doesn't flow back out. 

Heart Strings - The heartstrings are strong fibers that hold the valves in place.  

Personally, I think dissecting a heart was okay. I'm not really a fan of it but I don't hate it either. I think it's fascinating how we actually get to look at a real heart (not a human heart though, a pig's heart but it looks similar to it) visually to get a deeper understanding of the parts of the circulatory system. Cutting the heart in half satisfies me the most. 

Here are some photos I took during the dissection.




No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.