Pages

Monday 29 June 2020

Cupcakes - Home Economics (Finale)

Hi! This week in cooking we baked cupcakes. It is our final week before we moved on to the next semester. For those reasons, we are being assessed by cooking on our own as a group to our specific recipe. My group was almost the same as usual but we have another person added to our group. We did the planning on Tuesday on who's gonna do which method. 

We were given a cupcake recipe for my group and for the others I think it was something like Anzac biscuits etc. To be more specific, my group had a Vanilla cupcake with plain frosting. As you probably may or may not know, I've done cupcakes before in Home Economics. The methods were completely the same. Here's a link to my other blog post on how to make it you haven't seen it yet. LINK

In my group, there were 5 people and they are Vann, Lars, Janel, Minseo and myself. Here's a picture of what the methods were:

Here's who's who were doing each method:
Vann - Vanilla Essence, Baking Powder - Method 3 - Method 10
Lars - Butter, Milk - Method 1 - Method 6 - 
Elisha Mae - Sugar - Method 2 - Method 8
Janel - Plain Flour - Method 4 - Method 7 - Method 11
Minseo - Eggs - Method 5 - Method 9 

Vann: Will get the 1 t Vanilla Essence and 2 t Baking Powder. He will also do both methods 3 and 10. 

Lars: Will get the butter and the milk. He will also do both method 1 and 6.

Elisha Mae: Will get the sugar, she will do method 2 and 8.

Janel: Will get the plain flour, she will do methods 4, 7, and 11. She will also help Minseo with the folding. 

Minseo: Will get the eggs and do method 5 as well as method 9 with Janel’s help. 

Estimated time is 30 minutes

In my opinion, honestly, our group was kinda chaotic and unclear. We would sometimes joke around etc
but we could also focus on some stuff. Some people like me were just on the side while others
do most of the work. I was not participating on everything because I'm scared at the fact that I might
get something wrong with the recipe/method. Like I said, I only picked it because I wanna try baking.
However, there are some room of improvement.

In our task, we are also asked to let someone taste the final product and record their comments about it. I gave mine to my mom and this is the rough translation she said. "The texture was a bit crispy but the flavoring is okay". I honestly relate to my mom about it. The texture was indeed crispy-ish. We kinda failed again at the creaming the butter part yet again. It had some lumps on the butter when the egg + vanilla essence.

Maybe it was maybe at the part where we were really unsure what to do with the 2 eggs. We started with one egg and mixed it with the creamed-butter+sugar+vannilla essence. It didn't really work very well and it ended up some lumps and the other egg didn't make a difference either. Well, maybe it made it worse because we beat that other egg instead which is unclever of us.

Maybe next time we'll both beat in the eggs and not just one.

What we could do next time is to ask the teacher if unsure or read carefully the recipe next time. Overall I think it was okay. It turned out okay except for the part where the cupcakes looked like it's a basic muffin instead. But the frosting I think mostly covered it so it doesn't look like it.

Bye have a nice day!~




1 comment:

  1. Hi Elisha Mae. For someone who says she only took this class because she "wanna try baking" you have done amazingly well! You should be proud of the results you have got in each practical and proud of your blogs including this one. When you add eggs to a creamed mixture always add a little of the flour that you have already measured out. This will stop the eggs forming those lumps. Hopefully you will try baking at home and try adding a little flour when you beat the eggs in.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.