Pages

Friday 2 October 2020

Film Study - Coraline - Challenges Chart

 In Hurumanu 2 - Film studies, we watched an animation film created in 2009 called "Coraline". Before you proceed, I just wanna warn you that there are some spoilers ahead. If you don't care about it then you may continue to read below.

Here's a brief summary of what was the film is about:

It was about a pre-teen girl who has recently moved into Pink Palace Apartments. Boredom gets the best of her and she started exploring the place. She discovered an interesting small door passage that leads to a parallel world. It was an identical world except the world was something she would love. Her parents in that world weren't always busy and showed great affection for her. 

They cooked the good meals that she wanted to eat and even things that brought fun and colour to her dull boring life. However, as the film progressed, the world she thought that is wonderful and full of fun got twisted into a horrifying one. Where eventually the "Other Mother" revealed her true form. A beldam (witch) that traps children that live from the apartment over the centuries and take their souls by sewing buttons onto their eyes. If you wanna know what happened, I highly recommend you to watch the film. 

Anyways, in Film studies, we were tasked to either do Challenges charts of 2 lead characters of our choice or create a resume with again, the 2 lead characters of our choice. I chose Coraline and the black Cat.

Here's my work:


What am I learning?
We are learning about the characters in the film. Specifically, about the challenges they have faced throughout the film and how they overcome those challenges. As well as what kind of personalities, attitude, character traits they have and how they are portrayed in the film.

How does this show my learning?
This slide presentation shows visually my understanding of the character's challenges.

What am I wondering as a result of this learning?
I am wondering what happened to the Beldam (Other Mother) at the end of the story. Has she died? or remain alive and continued to attempting to lure the children onto her trap and take their souls?

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Elisha Mae. I have been a fan of Coraline based on the movie's theme. The movie really does spread a message. I love how specific the post is and the slideshow. I loved how you labeled some.

    I think overall this is a great post.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.